Sunday, November 17, 2013

"This is ridiculous" "This, Madam, is Versailles"

Heyyy

Another day has passed and so I have another one of my obsessions to share. I think it's safe to say that I'm just a fangirl at heart. Today (and for the past few years) my obsession is Marie Antoinette. I first discovered who she was when I read one of those Diary of a Princess books that were like fake diary entries about a real historical figures when they were young. I read this book and thought she was so important and classy (this book didn't say that she was beheaded and was really narcissistic and greedy). Then I saw the Sofia Coppola movie, and it was so stylized and beautiful and excessive, and my interest was peaked. Also the 1938 movie Marie Antoinette is really good. It has the same excess and stylized quality as Sofia Coppola version. I've been looking for a good biography to read, but whenever I look at Chapters I am disappointed. Maybe I should ask for one as a Christmas present.

Fun fact: Marie Antoinette was one of the first people to have gossip headlines written about her. She was treated how celebrities are often treated in this day and age.


Of course I had to include "let them eat cake", even though historians aren't sure she even said that.

Check out both version of Marie Antoinette if you can! From a purely visual stand point they are gorgeous.
Hanna

No comments:

Post a Comment